The Community Foundation of Westmoreland County and the Westmoreland County Complete Count Committee are partnering with regional organizations to implement a mini-grants program to support census-related activities in Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Washington and Westmoreland counties. (If you are from Allegheny County, please visit Allegheny County Mini-Grants Program.)
The fund will provide grants up to $1,000 to community-based organizations (nonprofits, schools or municipalities) that agree to advance the work of the 2020 Census with populations identified to be at risk of an undercount.
Eligible applicants must primarily serve and/or operate in one of the following counties: Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Washington, and Westmoreland.
Eligible applicant must be either:
- An incorporated 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization operating in one of the eligible counties
- A school or educational institution operating in one of the eligible counties
- A municipality in one of the eligible counties.
NOTE: If you are a community-based organization that is not a school, a municipality or an incorporated 501(c)(3), you must obtain a fiscal sponsor that is an eligible 501(c)(3) in your county. If your organization has questions about how to obtain a fiscal sponsor, please contact India Hunter at email@example.com.
Proposals should focus on outreach activities to increase participation in the 2020 census. The outreach must benefit historically undercounted and hard-to-count communities in eligible counties as listed above. Historically undercounted populations include: Seniors; rural residents; people of color; foreign born residents; children ages birth to five; low-income residents; persons experiencing homelessness; persons with disabilities and persons who do not live in traditional housing.
USE OF GRANT FUNDS
Proposed activities should take place between now and July 31, when door-to-door census outreach concludes. Grant activities should focus on increasing census participation among the hard-to-count groups above. It could include:
- Alleviating language barriers in promoting census awareness and completion.
- Hosting events that encourage people to answer the census.
- Creating unique materials to encourage census participation for the populations you serve.
- Purchasing technology to allow people to fill out the census on the spot.
HOW TO APPLY
- Deadline for applications is Feb. 21.
- The application is only five brief questions.
If you’re an existing user who has accessed our grants portal before, please log in. If not, please click "Create New Account.” Once you're logged in, click "Apply" and in the search bar, type in the application name “Western PA Regional Counties - 2020 Census Grant Application."