Position Status: Temporary, Part-time, Non-Exempt
Start date/End Date: February 1, 2018 – May 15, 2018
The Community Philanthropy Intern will support the grantmaking, development and community leadership efforts of The Community Foundation of Westmoreland County. The Community Philanthropy Intern will assist in communications, including social media (Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn) as well as writing articles about grantees, donors and community issues. S/he will assist in research related to nonprofit organization and fundraising efforts.
The Intern will also prepare materials and coordinate logistics for meetings with donors and other key stakeholders and special projects, as they arise. The internship will be carried out during the second semester, February to May, at 10-20 hours per week. This position has the potential to continue through the summer semester on a part-time basis and beyond depending on the individual’s performance and satisfaction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create original content and manage social media sites, coordinating with the communications department at The Pittsburgh Foundation.
- Prepare and assist in the preparation of research for donors and internal staff related to fundraising and grantmaking.
- Assist with planning and logistics for meetings and events with internal staff, nonprofits, donors and the public.
- Format documents, presentations and other materials as requested.
- Cull articles of interest on philanthropic topics and trends.
- Assist with clerical tasks on an as needed basis.
Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Working towards obtaining a master’s degree in the fields of management, public policy, social work, communications or other related fields.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- A strong, demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in public service, foundation or nonprofit work.
- Attention to detail and quality of final work product.
- A sense of humor.
Applicant will be required to work from the office of The Community Foundation of Westmoreland County, located at the Greensburg Garden and Civic Center, 951 Old Salem Rd., Greensburg, PA 15601.
Please email your resume with a 1-page cover letter detailing your interest in this position and why you believe you could be a good fit to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
About The Foundation
Established in 1995, The Community Foundation of Westmoreland County (CFWC) encourages local residents to become philanthropists, provides grants that support a wide variety of charitable organizations, and serves as a community leader. Our resources comprise endowment funds established by individuals, businesses, and organizations with a passion for charitable giving and a deep commitment to strengthening and celebrating the Westmoreland County community. CFWC currently has more than 220 individual donor funds, valued at $23 million, and has granted over $15 million to local nonprofit organizations.
The Community Foundation of Westmoreland County is an affiliate organization of The Pittsburgh Foundation, one of the nation’s oldest community foundations and the 13th largest of more than 750 community foundations across the United States. As a community foundation, our resources comprise endowment funds established by individuals, businesses and organizations with a passion for charitable giving and a deep commitment to the Pittsburgh community. The Foundation has approximately 2,000 individual donor funds and, together with its supporting organizations, assets of more than $1.14 billion. Grantmaking from the funds benefits a broad spectrum of community life within Pittsburgh and beyond with more than 2,000 grantees receiving funding annually. The Foundation typically awards grants of more than $40 million each year. Grantmaking from the Foundation’s discretionary funds leverages a broad range of resources and enables the Foundation to be an important change agent for the region. Approximately 85 percent of all grant-making dollars stay within the Pittsburgh region.
THE PITTSBURGH FOUNDATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION.